Friday, March 20, 2009

The long view

Today has gone on...and on...and on. Trent worked this morning while I entertained our son. We switched places in the afternoon. Late in the day, I realized I have more to do this weekend than I'd originally thought, which means that Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday will be spent at my computer. My eyes hurt already.

At times like these, I'm grateful for the long view that our goals provide. Sitting here for four or six or more hours at a time seems worthwhile when I remind myself that we're working towards our goal. The effort we put in now will hopefully pay off later - granted, a lot later, like five or six or seven years down the line, but it'll happen. Without the goal, I think I'd be less than inspired. I think I'd feel kind of depressed, actually, and then I might soothe myself by purchasing a trip to Costa Rica.

It's like that self control study they did with kids a few years ago. The kids in the study each received a marshmallow. They had the option of eating it right away, or waiting a few minutes - and receiving two marshmallows. As noted in the Time article, "A survey of the children's parents and teachers found that those who as four-year-olds had the fortitude to hold out for the second marshmallow generally grew up to be better adjusted, more popular, adventurous, confident and dependable teenagers. The children who gave in to temptation early on were more likely to be lonely, easily frustrated and stubborn." Hmm.

I readily admit that had I been a child in that study, I would have eaten the marshmallow right away. Self control is not one of my greatest strengths, which is probably why I feel so pained these days. I want what I want, when I want it. Waiting? Self control? Huh? Those things are difficult. They require sacrifice.

All I can say is that I'm working on it. So far, so good. But it's going to be a long weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Hope your weekend wasn't all that long.

    Just came over to say, "Buttercream lovers forevah!!"

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah! None of that fondant stuff for me - I want the real thing: butter and sugar.

    ReplyDelete