Saturday, May 16, 2009

Jonesing for some spending

I don't know why, exactly, but yesterday afternoon and evening, all I wanted to do was spend some money - on food, on home decor, on a vacation. Okay, so mostly on a vacation. It's almost June, and so far, we have no travel plans for the summer. That's practically unheard of in this household. My fingers are itching to go to Expedia.com and book a getaway. Good thing our kid gets motion sick, or we may already be out a few hundred bucks... 

Right now, saving seems a lot like dieting: it isn't all that fun until you start seeing significant results. Until then, you feel deprived, irritable, and kind of at a loss as to what to do (since anything involving yummy food - or, in this case, fun spending - is out). Last night, I was like a dieter who just wanted a really, really, really big piece of chocolate layer cake. Today, I feel like a dieter who managed to overcome her cravings and avoid doing something stupid, something that would set back the whole operation.

We're not out of the woods yet. Something tells me I'm not going to be able to sit here all summer, basking in the humidity and clouds of mosquitoes. The trick will be to plan something fun, adventurous, and cheap; something close to home but new to us; something that will get our minds away from work and everyday life.

And don't say "camping." I hate camping. ;-)



1 comment:

  1. do you have any friends who have cottages or cabins or anything like that? Also, I think you live in Florida, there is this website my coworker uses called HomeExchange that you swap houses with people for a week. That way you only have to pay for transportation... I need a vacation, too, but luckily was invited a few places this summer!

    ReplyDelete